Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Deus Ex Machina

"Your carnation will rot in a vase" - Derek W Dick.

Some of my Scottish readers may be perplexed by my insistant interest in Neurocam, the Austalian (initially) internet offering and even more perplexed my self-indulgent references to assignments I can't mention, and news that is of little relevance to you.

Neurocam is about perception and creativity, with tantalising echoes of 60s Spy movies and becomes a genre in of itself. Robin Hely, the alleged creator, is a genius. Those that seem to have spoke to him seem to hate the guy. I haven't and don't. I guess that's the price of genius.

I joined because I felt I had a lesson to learn in those two qualities I mentioned in paragraph two (the quote doesn't count).

And now, tragically, while I was still eager enough, it seems to have collapsed in on itself. The website is closed, there were two blogs blowing the roof off the whole theatre. A Blog by "Another Operative" and another by "Teigan" were masterpieces of anger and regret. Teigan's Blog is now free of the rage, but AO's isn't. AO's is Watergate for the Neurobabies.

On the right hand side of this page you'll notice a link that's been up there for a few months to Chris Titan in reciprocation for a link he gave me. I called him an internet prophet, and in Neurocam terms I was right. Small comfort since I fucking liked the experience thus far... He predicted everything. He might've have written the script for all I know.

I joined because it was art that seemed to connect with the disaffected. How can anyone disagree with that? Whether it was pointless or playacting it was still relevant. As Hely and at one point Teigan said: Tarnishing it is like throwing shit in an art gallery.

If it's done, then Hely has his conclusion to his artwork. As an artist myself I envy him that.

So, what can Scots learn from this? I think we tend to rant at the apathetic, rather than trying to seduce them. Neurocam seduced the apathetic of the world with an irreverence and a charm that you don't often witness. At times dodgy, at other's mysterious, and eventually it burned out like Jim Morrison and Sid Vicious. It was Jim Morrison at New Haven; Johnny Rotten spitting that: "Don't you feel like you've been cheated?" And we, as a culture, don't have that. What Scots have is tragic and porcelain and that saddens me.

So why do I want something for Scotland: perceptive, corny, mysterious and dramatic? Because we need to expand our own perceptions by delving into the surreal and confronting our own subconscious.

An Australian Artist touched the sky with something that only about perception and creativity. Tell me you don't want that for Alba... Caledonia... Scotland... Jock Tamson's Bairns...

"So make the best of this test
and don't ask why.

It's not a question
but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life." Time of your Life - Green Day


Revelations