Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Somebody has to kill the Radio Star...

I've been talking about this IRL for a while now, and at the behest of people I know, I think the subject should be broached about the lamentable state of Scottish Radio.

On Xmas morning, I was setting up the Freeview box that was a prezzie for mumsie and cos she wasn't up, I ended up on BBC Radio 7, instead of finding out what Sky Three was actually like. It was this brilliant documentary about Kenny Everett. I mind as a kid being gutted that he had been sacked from Radio One - not because of the sacking, but because he ended up in a London Radio Station I wouldn't be able to hear.

My politics should dictate I should be glued to Clan FM, Clyde or XFM Scotland or whatever... I guess... I can't face it, honestly. Alyson at work insists that Dominik Diamond is a cunt. I'm guessing Anne Diamond's little boy (???) will just have to live without the blonde bombshell's input on this one. I like the guy because I can recognise who he is.

And here's the reason I don't listen to Scottish Radio: Ross King. I mind him on Radio Clyde. Then I mind him on Pebble Mill and finally as a Weatherman before ending up on GMTV. As nice and fluffy as Ross obviously is, I want something DANGEROUS or someone that actually MEANS something on the radio. I'm not talking about Scotty McClue, because frankly I don't like TalkSHITE or any form of Radio where they have more talk than they have records.

Nicky Campbell on Radio One once took the smeg out of Scottish Radio by taunting the DJs that they all sounded like Deputy Dog. For years I've never been able to listen to the local stations because I keep seeing the wee varmint in my head while some guy introduces some "70s Classics with Rah-Rah-Rasputin!!!

Because of Mr. Fujitsu Seimens here I get to listen to Last FM . If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have heard Shadows Fall... Ah... memories... Well, partially that's my point. I should be able to hear some guy in Scottish Accent taking his music seriously, being comedically dangerous or simply doing something different.

What seems to happen is this: Mr John Nightly gets his own show on some poxy channel no-one listens to for three weeks and electrifys the airwaves. Not too many people hear him except a big broadcaster who takes him somewhere else (TV, Radio in England, whatever...) I can live with that, because money is always going to talk, but we end up left with the pish that Glasgow's nightclubs spawn who frankly have more teeth than brains and can't have an Ad break without having a "funny" competition...

No comments:


Revelations