Sunday, August 26, 2007

Elderslie Autopsy

Slight music review from Elderslie Wallace Day yesterday. One, Ted Christopher played two sets. One was good. The other was astonishingly good. Albannached played a couple of sets when they eventually turned up. It's the best I've seen them. They blew the roof off the feckin' place. I guess a bit of healthy competition from The Trybe and Clann an Drumma (who I like, but still maintain have a website designed by a five-year-old) is a good thing. Put it this way, I liked the set so much I'm going to try and incorporate it somehow into the novel I'm currently writing.

Anyway, march and rally were both good. The SNP old guard were out in force to flank David R Ross and the Wallace Society elite.

I managed to foist myself on the Feegie Park crew for the night and that was a blast... with the slightly confusing news that a certai RFS co-DJ emailed hunners of her friends to promote my blog and then subsequently sabotaged the entire attempt because I have a link... er... to her...

Props to the Wallace Society for conducting the only raffle in human history to give prizes to everyone in the room. Some of whom hadn't even bought a ticket. I got a bottle of Blossom Hill Wine.

Only thing is... I did the march and rally on autopilot. I spent the march talking to an SRSM amigo about secret behind-the-scenes stuff about fall-outs and shinto. At the rally I met a guy who used to be an old website I did. David Ross did a good job of spicing up his speech and making it good. Other ones though... I've heard it before. And we repeat it because it needs to repeating, because some people haven't heard it before. Billy Wolfe good inducted in the Nationalist Hall of Fame, which was good as well.

I just think we need something different. The parties afterwards: as nationalists, we could give masterclasses in doing shindigs. It's the bit beforehand which we need to work on. It's getting repetitive or just plain boring. This isn't an attack on Elderslie, that was a goody (not in a Bill Oddie sense, you understand). I'm thinking more about Glencoe last Feb. That was farcical and I was partially responsible. It's also the fact that the majority of the talking after the events is about the party afterwards. To me this suggests we still have some way to go selling the message. My enduring memory, though, will be a room full of hairy-knee'd-fundies grooving to Ted Christopher singing the theme tune to Balamory...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

who ye calling a hairy-knee'd-fundie eh ? hee hee great night & great company = >

Labour Rigged Glenrothes said...

Hi FireFox Great to finally met you pity i could not stay for the entertainment Whishart

Firefox said...

Great to meet with both yourself W, and the anonymous one above ye...

Anonymous said...

good see ye got hame awright well worth the taxi fare staying for the scotland mix from ted where everything from traditional song to sidney to balamory even were on the march way allys army got us all jiggin albannach were superb, canny wait till next time what a night.


Revelations