Thursday, November 10, 2005

BBC SPORT | Football | No Scots for GB Olympic football

Kenny: If I might interject your blogging enjoyment for a time: YES! FUCKING YES! GAUN THE SFA! [dances embarrassingly]

BBC SPORT | Football | No Scots for GB Olympic football: "No Scots for GB Olympic football

There will be no Scots in the 2012 Olympic team

Plans for a Great Britain football team at the London 2012 Olympics will go ahead without any Scottish involvement.

The Scottish FA ruled out participation but have no objection to the other home nations forming sides for the men's and women's Olympic and Paralympic teams.

England and Northern Ireland are in favour, while the Welsh FA, having initially opposed the idea, are now deciding whether to reconsider.

Once they have made a decision, team selection proposals will be drawn up.

The Scottish FA had been given written assurances by Fifa president Sepp Blatter that taking part in the 2012 Games would not affect their separate identity in world football.

But the Scots fear that Blatter may not be in power in 2012 and his successor may have other views.

London 2012 organisers had promised the first event of the Games - the opening football match - would kick off at Hampden Park, Glasgow, if the Scots supported the idea of a British team.

The Great Britain team would be limited to players aged under 23 but three overage players would be allowed.

Britain qualify automatically as Olympic hosts.

But it is unlikely there will be a British Olympic football team beyond 2012, because no united British team plays in the European Under-21 Championships, which act as the qualifying tournament."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenny, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working band saw, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working band saw.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenny, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on starting a wood working business when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for starting a wood working business. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about starting a wood working business at the site above.

Gath Clag said...

Keep up the woodwork.

I hope the Welsh will do this too.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »


Revelations