Thursday, November 16, 2006

Independence reconciling itself with Billy Connolly


"It's entirely their fault (the SNP), this new racism in Scotland, this anti-Englishness," Billy Connolly.

This, obviously, is why most Nationalists in Scotland feel disengaged from Scotland's premier gagmeister. To say that there is vitriol towards Connolly is understating things.

As someone who wants independence and watches anything with the tagline "comedy" on it, I'm one of those few people stuck in a bit of dilemma. Okay, I'll be honest, there's no real dilemma at all, I personally watch anything he's in and would buy a ticket for one of his Glasgow gigs if I could fecking get one.

But he's be anti-nat and has been for a good wee while, so how does the former webmaster of the Scottish Resistance website mediate the quotes I'd usually have nothing but the deepest, darkest contempt for?

Nationalists who dislike Connolly usually forget a couple of points about Connolly. Firstly that we live in a democacy and he's entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong it is, and secondly, how can one take seriously the "serious" musings of a man who said: “Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on.” For a guy with the acerbit wit Connolly has, trust me, Independence has gotten off lightly.

One of the great urban myths about Connolly is that he was excommunicated from the Catholic faith for the "crucifixion" routine. And I guess this is my point, if we can't laugh off Connolly's jibes about Independence we don't deserve Independence. He makes his job from going on stage to make people laugh, no matter how shit he feels, how depressed or genuinely happy he feels.

The reason we feel so hurt by his comments isn't because they're true; the serious ones are so laughable they should be included in his routine, but because of how damn good he is.

We don't pour over Fred Macaulay's words. Why? Because he isn't as funny. Sorry... but it's true. Besides, Fred (apparently) used to be an accountant and for reason too long to go into here, I've vowed to kill all accountants. Trust me, they aren't a loss...

I'm drifting off, aren't I? As an aside, we could also bring up one of Billy's mates, one Shaun Connery. (yes, I know I spelt that wrong...) Even though he puts his money where his mouth is, pro-indy people still slag the poor bastard off, just because he doesn't live here. I'm sorry, did I miss a meeting? Have we got nothing better to do but pour over the meanderings of celebs rather than actually do something?

It's the same with Asylum seekers, council tax, the welfare state: the biggest whingers are the ones who don't vote. My biggest arguments in my work are with people who DON'T vote? They give some tenuous statement about how the foot long, twenty name election paper "doesn't have anyone" they like. I'm not entirely sure I want idiots like that being able to vote. Seriously. Fuck the ballot paper, I'd rather they stayed at home.

“The great thing about Glasgow is that if there's a nuclear attack it'll look exactly the same afterwards.” BC

No comments:


Revelations